Choosing a nanny
Dad's gotta go to work. Grandma hurries to a meeting - she is in a responsible post. A little “little girl” needs a nanny ... The plot is familiar to us not only from the film “For Family Circumstances”.
Since ancient times in Russia, a young and moderately wealthy mother had a reliable assistant nanny, who raised her baby from the cradle. She taught the child the wisdom of life, she believed the innermost secrets of the family. Today, interest in this profession is experiencing another surge. Although labor legislation provides for parental leave, many young mothers do not enjoy this privilege: they do not want to stumble on career steps. But even the most career-oriented or nonchalant mother becomes picky when it comes to raising a child. Hundreds of reservations arise, a whole storm of questions and arguments for and against the next candidate. How to choose a nanny who would find a common language with the baby, with you and at the same time would not encroach on either your property or the head of the family? How to find a good nanny and recognize a liar? How not to overpay and stay in a favorable position? We will resolve these issues as they become available.
1 GET A CHALLENGE
First, let's figure out why you need a nanny. Will she sit with her baby while you are at work? Will it be needed several times? Will the nanny live with you or come as needed? Weekend nanny, vacation nanny ... Options can be varied, but the main thing depends on your goals - the price of the issue. A visiting nanny will cost more than one who will live in a family. But, on the other hand, you may not need the presence of a stranger every second. Prices and selection conditions will vary significantly depending on the age of the "client". After all, at each stage of the child’s life you will make more and more demands on his teacher.
From 0 to 1 year Best of all, if a specialist with a medical education is engaged in a newborn. Certified teachers and child psychologists will come later, and in the first year of life there is nothing more important than health. The nanny should understand modern baby food, know exactly all the rules for caring for the baby, and not just be able to change the diaper. If you want your child to be taught according to the methods of early development, look for a specialist with the appropriate education.
From 1 year to 3 years We will expand the requirements for a “babysitter” nanny: in addition to medical qualifications, it is not bad that the nanny has knowledge in the field of psychology. Indeed, up to three years, the psyche of the child is laid and it is important that all stages of its development pass exactly according to the recommendations of modern specialists. For children of this age, it is recommended to choose a teacher at least thirty-five years old.
From 3 to 6 years A child who knows the world at this age should not only be fed, cleaned and neatly dressed - it is time for him to learn skills that are useful in adulthood. Look for a nanny who has graduated from a pedagogical university, or better, with experience working in primary school or a preschool.
Over 6 years old A preschooler and especially a school-age child needs not so much a nanny as a tutor. In this case, one cannot do without a teacher’s diploma, but information about medical education is fading into the background and is not at all mandatory. A primary school teacher, a teacher of foreign languages, a music teacher - you have various options and their combinations to provide a worthy education for your child.
2 STARTING A SEARCH
By recommendation The easiest and most painless way. Interview colleagues or mothers walking with babies in your yard: there will probably be among them those who themselves (or friends) have already used the services of visiting babysitters.
- good recommendations from trusted people - certain “quality guarantees”;
- no fees for intermediary services.
- certain discomfort: a nanny hired on someone’s recommendation, or, moreover, a relative is more difficult to dismiss than a complete stranger;
- the risk that your family secrets that the nanny comes in contact with will become known to your friends;
- most often, an employment contract is not concluded with a nanny “on acquaintance”. In this case, there is a threat of a sudden termination of business relations.
By ad If the nanny was never found in the inner circle, try expanding the range of searches. To get started, browse through advertisements in job placement newspapers and browse the internet for special notice boards for home staff. If you don’t find a suitable option, post your own ad for employment. In this case, it is better not to leave your home phone: restrict yourself to a mobile or work, and also indicate the exact hours when you can call.
- there is no need to pay a commission for the selection of personnel;
- Nannies who seek work through newspapers and the Internet tend to claim lower salaries than those who come through the agency.
- you invite a complete stranger into the house, and this may turn out to be unsafe;
- Get ready to filter incoming calls from potential candidates. Many of them may be inadequate. Often, small recruitment agencies call for ads from individuals, develop a strategy for dealing with them;
- You have to conduct several face-to-face interviews with the nannies. It’s better not to do this in your own apartment, but to organize the first conversation in a cafe.
Through agencies The most comfortable and most expensive way. It’s best to start with familiarizing yourself with the agency’s working conditions, compare several possible options and select 2–3 agencies with which you could work. Those who need only applications via the Internet, obviously lose to those intermediaries who invite their mother to a meeting at the office or go home. Before meeting with the agency’s employees, clearly draw the “profile” of the future employee, write down all the requirements that you make to her, think over the conditions of her work, anticipating the questions that usually arise at such meetings.
- a good agency has an impressive database of candidates and will certainly offer you several options at once;
- it is the agency that is usually responsible for the reliability of the work and the reliability of the recommendation;
- in case of illness or dismissal of the nanny, the agency usually selects a worthy replacement for it;
- Your relationship with the nanny is legally secured.
- for the work of the intermediary will have to pay a certain fee;
- small or not very popular agencies may neglect their duties or perform them not to the extent agreed upon (do not check the nannies, do not draw up an employment contract, do not replace the nannies for free). Of course, you can sue them - but this is both the time spent and the strength. And who will be sitting with the baby at this time?
3 MAKING A CHOICE
Candidates for the role of a nanny are selected. Now we have to make a difficult choice. Before the meeting, make a list of your requirements for a future nanny. Invite your husband to do the same. Now check your listings. Cross out all that you can do without. Some parents will easily sacrifice the perfect order in the house. Others agree that the nanny does not know three languages and does not understand the laws of physics. Someone agrees to hire a younger nanny. Less experience, of course, but energy and zeal - there is! Prepare in advance the questions that you are going to ask the future nanny. Write them down and keep the sheet in front of you, otherwise you will certainly miss something important. Undoubtedly, the conversation involves elements of spontaneity, so do not be surprised that you asked much more questions than you expected before meeting with the nanny. The main thing is that you do not miss anything significant, however, you will have a cheat sheet with you, where everything is stated point by point.
- Ask the candidate what made her look for this particular job. Sometimes this question becomes the first and last.
- Experience of similar work: did the nanny ever work with children? If so, ask for more details about your previous jobs. If this is the first attempt to become a nanny, then do not automatically delete the newcomer from the list of potential employees. Maybe she’s an experienced mom. Or a very responsible young girl who was happy to help her parents raise their little brothers. A mature employee should be asked what made her say goodbye to previous employers.
- How will the nanny deal with the child if he refuses to follow orders or violates the prohibitions? Do not expect the nanny to quote chapters from a book on pedagogy. Listen carefully to her answers. If she as a whole showed common sense and endurance even in theory, this is a good sign. Gradually, you will develop a common line of behavior with the child.
- What does a nanny do when she is very upset or angry? Even the most patient and seasoned people get angry. But how they show it and restrain it is exactly what you are trying to understand.
- What will the nanny do if the child cuts or chokes? Or seriously ill? An experienced nanny will mint all first aid measures in emergency cases.
- How long does a nanny need this job? A change in the nanny injures the baby, and you get a headache. Again, start searching, conduct interviews, take time off from work, rub in ...
- On what terms? Indicate clearly the hours and days of work. If the nanny will live in your family, she still needs to know what hours she can count on her personal time. Be prepared to provide the applicant with a list of her future responsibilities. Well think over what you yourself want: a housekeeper, cook, housekeeper and governess all rolled into one? It happens. True, much more expensive. The more housework your nanny has, the less time and energy she will have for caring for your child, for his full upbringing and development. The issue of earnings should be resolved at the first meeting to the mutual satisfaction of the parties.
- Recommendations You can ask letters from previous employers from a nanny with experience. If this is the first job for a young Mary Poppins, if possible, discuss her business skills with someone who is familiar with the applicant. It seems that you have come to the end of the first interview. What's next? Do not rush to answer. Give yourself time to scroll through your first meeting and think. Listen to your inner feelings. Are you comfortable with this person? Does it seem reliable and decent to you? What can she give the child? In order to make sure your feelings are correct, meet the nanny again and only then make the final decision.
Cost of services of nannies and governesses
The average cost in Moscow and St. Petersburg
Average cost in the regions
Nanny for a child up to a year
From $ 4 / hour
From $ 3 / hour
Nanny for a child from 1 to 5 years
$ 5-7 / hour, at least $ 400 per month
$ 2-4 / hour, at least $ 200 per month
from $ 5 / hour
From $ 3 / hour
A governess with knowledge of a foreign language
$ 7-8 / hour
From $ 5 / hour
A governess with a musical education and knowledge of a foreign language
$ 8-10 / hour
From $ 6 / hour
Payment for recruitment agency services
From 30% of the employee's monthly salary
20−25% of the employee’s monthly salary
Legends are already circulating about the negligence of some nannies among families using their services. Moreover, on the Internet and recruitment agencies you can find black lists of nannies who will not be hired by any self-respecting home. To control how your nanny you hire deals with your baby, you can:
- to ask the child if he already knows how to talk about whether he likes the aunt, whether he likes to play with her, whether she feeds him tasty;
- if the baby is still not talking, evaluate the nanny by his reaction: does he run to her, cry when she appears, has his behavior changed since the nanny appeared in the house;
- use modern technology: install a voice recorder in a child’s device or turn on a webcam. So you get the most reliable information about what happens in your absence;
- ask someone from your family or friends to visit your house several times without warning while the baby with the nanny is there, to ask your housemates or people walking
- mother’s yard: how does the nanny behave on a walk, what is she doing, how attentive is she to the ward?
The first professional nannies appeared in Russia only at the end of the 19th century. In St. Petersburg, at the courses of the Frebel Society, a nanny school was opened, where girls who had reached the age of 14, who had attended a school course, were recruited. For the most part, these were the young daughters of soldiers, poor bourgeois and peasant women. For two years of study, the nanny comprehended the basics of preschool education, folklore, and the intricacies of washing and sewing children's clothes and linen.
Home recruitment agencies:
- "Friendly family": (095) 203 6682 www.agency.1q.ru
- "Nanny": (095) 250 6595, 250 8765 www. nyanya-service.ru
- "Fairy at home": (095) 788 3310, 518 7642 www.feyadoma.ru
- Family Staff School "Native Penates": (095) 683 6720 www. r-penates.ru
- "Nanny Irena": (812) 334 0707 www.irena.spb.ru
- Capital Personnel Psychological Agency: (095) 729 1703 www.skpa.ru